Saturday, June 27, 2020

Intersectionality with Genital Autonomy

Those who fight for genital autonomy for males are often shunned by anti-FGM activists and Pride events.  I get that some think that allowing the issue of "anti-circumcision" (speaking of males as that is what people in the USA think) diminishes their own issues.  I actually see it the other way around.  

gomco mogen clamp plastibell aap "american academy of pediatrics"


For me, the issue of genital autonomy has spiraled upward as cross-discussions have occurred.  For example, I always disliked female genital mutilation (FGM) simply because of those words and what I heard via the mainstream media.  However, I used to think that it was limited to only uncivilized tribes in Africa.  It wasn't until I watched the American Circumcision documentary that I started seeing the connection to male "circumcision."  I had no idea that it was something that was regularly practiced in the USA, and still is to an extent today.  I had no idea that most victims believed that they were better for it, just like most victims of male "circumcision" believe they are better off.  It was BECAUSE both were discussed together that my awareness and understanding of FGM practices was raised; imagine if Brendon Marotta would have shunned anti-FGM as if it was a separate issue!

gomco mogen clamp plastibell aap "American Academy of Pediatrics"


I don't remember which came first, but I either read about Hida Viloria on gaamerica.org or Anastasia Lindsey Rogers shared their story with me when I was protesting with the Bloodstained Men.  I started learning about intersex conditions and "normalization" surgeries.  Anastasia protests with the Bloodstained Men regularly.  BECAUSE she does, Anastasia gets more opportunities and more allies to speak out against those surgeries too!  Now Your Whole Baby information booths include intersex!


My mind is not made up when it comes to vaccines, however, when it comes to informed consent we have a lot in common.  It is BECAUSE informed consent causes include genital cutting practices that I have been made more aware of the history and risks of certain vaccines.

Pride is all about self-determination and being proud of your sexual status.  I had no idea that men that were not "circumcised" are often shamed for the status of the genitalia!  It also happens for women in the female genital cutting cultures.  Mind you, the status of your genitalia is better hidden than being outwardly gay, trans or queer.  Being a cut ("circumcised") dad of two intact sons has made me even more aware of the challenges of the LGBTQ+ community.  I don't think that someone should be shamed for the status of their genitalia any more than their sexual identity.  It has been discussions with certain gay couples that I have become more understanding of the natural penis.  Welcoming "Foreskin Pride" folks to Pride events should not be an issue, but it has been in some cases.  I was personally harassed in Portland.  There is a video of a gay man that called the Bloodstained Men idiots (with a sign)!  There is so much more I could say here, but I'm getting off my soap box.

All of these have overlapping opportunities where, if we collaborate, we can have a larger voice and make more progress.  Check out this article about intersectionality:  https://www.opportunityagenda.org/explore/resources-publications/ten-tips-putting-intersectionality-practice

No comments:

Post a Comment