Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Pronouns and sexist verbiage

Before I get started on this topic, I want everyone to know that I want to give everyone the highest amount of respect possible.  My thoughts on this topic are grounded in that desire.

As I have gotten to know people with intersex traits and trans individuals, I have been finding myself avoiding the use of binary pronouns (he/him, she/her) and using they/them and/or people's names more often.

My youngest son is taking Spanish in high school and I have been studying with him every chance I get.  As you may know, Spanish is extremely sexist.  I have nothing against Hispanics, but I find the language very frustrating due to that.  I don't mean to single out Spanish here, it just happens to be what I'm studying at the moment.

While I have what is considered an average size clitorophallus (a penis) and present as a typical male, I am tempted to say that I go by "they/them" pronouns!  Does that come across as disrespectful?  As progressive and supportive as I consider myself to be, I still find myself confused and challenged by this issue.

Why do we need sexist pronouns in the first place?  Just so we can segregate ourselves into separate restrooms?  I know they have been useful for segregating ourselves into different roles in society in the past, but those roles have been torn down in recent history as many people don't want to be pigeon-holed.

No comments:

Post a Comment