Sunday, June 5, 2022

Are Lawsuits A Good Use of Resources to End Genital Cutting Rituals?

Georganne Chapin of Intact America recently wrote this:

https://intactamerica.org/dyk_why-lawsuits-wont-end-mgc/

If you read my blog posts, you may have read this one:

https://johnadkison.blogspot.com/2020/04/suit-against-usa-federal-government.html

as well as the preceding one related to it:

https://johnadkison.blogspot.com/2019/06/filed-suit-against-usa.html

Yes, I failed to get a settlement.  However, was it a complete waste of time and resources?  Not in my opinion.  In this case, I only spent a little more than $400 to file it.  The primary reason the case was dismissed is that the FTCA states that we cannot sue the federal government for things like assault.  I was not aware of that, were you?  You see, education alone is valuable and I passed it on to you for free!  But, that's not all! (are you sensing my sales voice?  😆)  Several individuals ALSO got educated about the fact that there are #mendocomplain!  At the very least, a judge, an attorney, and the individuals who handled the tort claim at the US Navy now know.  Also, fellow #mendocomplain, like David Wilson, who was also cut in the military as an infant now know that they will have to take a different approach if they wanted to take some sort of legal action.  If I would have known about the FTCA issue, I may have chosen to put down the US Navy instead of the Federal government.  If I knew who the individual was that did the cutting, I may have chosen to include that individual.  I may have been able to change the complaint.  However, I took on this legal action without legal representation.  Even if David Llewellyn (thecircumcisionlawyer.com) would have decided to represent me without financial support, I don't think he has any experience suing entities like the Federal government or a military entity either.

Thus, just like the attempts in San Francisco, Denmark, and Iceland to ban the practice (specifically MALE genital cutting rituals), I DO see efforts like mine as a step forward.  Even the Cologne (Germany) ruling that led to the creation of WWDOGA was a step forward (2 steps forward, 1 step back).  The determination by a federal judge in Michigan that the Federal anti-FGM law was unconstitutional has been useful in determining future steps (aim for the states, not the localities or the federal government).  Numerous numbers of people have been confronted with the fact that this is a serious issue and have been learning about the many reasons that genital autonomy is important.

There are more and more individuals wanting to take legal action.  Many of those individuals have joined the ranks of GALDEF (Genital Autonomy Legal Defense and Education Fund).  Eric Anderson attempted to get an injunction in Florida to stop it (https://circumcisionisahatecrime.com/blog/).  Ron Goldman, Ph.D. has been leading the charge to end state funding of the rituals.  The Lavine family has been taking action (circumcisionisafraud.com) with much support from Peter Adler who wrote the book "Circumcision Is A Fraud: And The Coming Legal Reckoning."  David Llewellyn has been successful with many actions.  Has any of this ended the practice yet?  No, not yet.  Are they having an effect?  I certainly believe so.

Georganne's blog highlights the fact that very few lawyers are willing to take on cases.  I, however, believe that most of those are not willing because they don't have the knowledge to have the bravery and confidence that David Llewellyn has.  And, this is why I am co-founding GALDEF.  One of the desires of GALDEF is to educate legal counsel.

GALDEF has been ironing out many details to be founded as a well-organized and professional organization.  Please consider donating or notifying us that you will make a donation once specific goals are met.  Currently a Facebook page exists HERE.  A website is in the works.  I am the treasurer, so contact me for donation current donation information.

DISCLAIMER: Everything here is my thoughts and opinions, only my personal thoughts and opinions, and does not represent GALDEF.





No comments:

Post a Comment