Wednesday, January 16, 2019

What Intactivists Need to Give

History has many cases where people gave their lives for human rights issues.  In WWII, millions gave their lives fighting for religious freedom.  In the USA civil war, over 600,000 died for a cause primarily related to slavery.

Intactivism is another war; hopefully, though, one that will not involve deaths on a similar scale.  However, like any war, it's not pretty.

If you think you would have gladly fought for ending slavery or for religious freedom, giving up certain things to fight for the rights of the next generation should be easy.

Those things may include giving too much information about yourself, getting punched because you're protesting with a bloodstain on your crotch, losing relationships, losing your job, losing membership to your church or becoming a social outcast in other ways.  I'm not saying this is easy.  I admit, I have dragged my feet into intactivism myself due to the fears.  But, I leaped into my future self and thought that I want to be proud of my life.  I want to be able to tell the next generation that I fought for them to have intact genitals, because, by that time, it's going to be well known that genital mutilation was a bad thing in history.  If I live that long, I want that generation to look at me as a hero like my generation has looked at many that survived WWII.

Discussing genitals and sexual activity are taboo topics.  Getting into the nitty gritty details about how genitals work is not something many people want to discuss.  But, we NEED to!  We MUST be brave!  Keep thinking about the next generation and all the children that are getting their genitals cut RIGHT NOW!  Think about how urgent those that were fighting WWII felt about stopping needless deaths of innocent people.

What's ironic is that the people that were being fought for (the Jews in Europe) are some of the same people that are pushing back against our movement to protect one of their cultural practices.  The Nazis may have oppressed religious freedom with the use of death and prison camps, and while that's absolutely horrible, taking away parts of people's bodies in the name of a religion is also absolutely horrible.  Taking away parts of people's bodies for financial greed (relative to slavery) is also horrible.  So, this is really a war about both religious freedom AND slavery.

Thus, to sum up, please be brave.  Be willing to talk to everyone about it and give all the gory details.  Take a bullet for the next generation.  They are worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment