Saturday, May 11, 2019

Why the bloodstained pants?

I have to give some credit to a very close friend of mine for this article.  They know who they are.  I appreciate their willingness to talk to me about the topic.

Yes, another article on "circumcision."

Many ask:
"Why do you have to be so offensive by wearing bloodstained pants and protesting publicly?"
"Should children be seeing that?"
"Why aren't you attacking bigger issues, like abortion or the opioid epidemic?"

To start off with, because the topic does not get the press it deserves.  I have a Google Alert set for "FGM" and there are daily news articles on the topic.  I just did a search for News on the topic and got 372,000 hits.  I did a search for News on the topic of "opioids" and got 8,410,000 hits.  The word "circumcision" gets a whopping (sarcasm) 78,800 hits.

This lack of press isn't just a lack of interest by journalists.  I've seen many cases where journalists have shown interest and then just stop talking to intactivists without any explanation.  It's a Pandora's box, the mainstream outlets don't want to touch the topic.  Even when you consider that the cultures that practice female cutting (aka FGM) call it "female circumcision" the press rarely uses that term.  I do not work in the industry, so, I cannot explain why it is that way for sure.  I do work with some intactivists that have been assembling press contacts on a shared database so that the press can be reached when something interesting is happening in their respective area.  It's extremely rare that those press contacts follow-up on tips about the topic.

Another reason is that I far too often see or hear the comment "I never heard a man complain."  I address this topic in a past article: 
https://johnadkison.blogspot.com/2018/10/why-more-circumcised-men-arent.html
After they've seen www.bloodstainedmen.com, they will never say that again.

I have demonstrated without the bloodstained pants; didn't get a fraction of the pictures taken as I do otherwise.  The pictures are extremely valuable these days.  You know where those pictures go: social media.  Sure, many people will laugh; that's great.  If they post them publicly, the intactivists catch it and take the opportunity to educate people.

My preference is to speak to people with an open mind, particularly at educational institutions and baby fairs.  Unfortunately, baby fairs only happen once a year (in most cases) and educational institutions rarely cover the topic.  Even at baby fairs, many people aren't willing to take the time to listen to or look at the information organizations like Your Whole Baby is providing.  Fellow volunteers would often ask people that were walking by if they were interested in information regarding "circumcision."  Default answer: "no."  My question: "do you know what a preputial amputation is?"  Ah!  The sudden interest!  Like the bloodstained pants, the word "amputation" gets people's attention!  Unfortunately, it is how we human beings are.  We MUST look at the carnage.  It is why everyone slows down to look at the car accident.

If half the population was walking around missing an arm because of a cultural practice or beliefs that it reduces chances of a low-risk cancer or infection, everyone would notice.  Genitalia is normally hidden from public view - out of sight, out of mind.  I wonder how fast this issue would get addressed if everyone who had their genitals mutilated walked around with something identifying the fact.

So, why do I speak out and why do I use such expressive ways?  Because not enough others are.  It's not that I don't care about other issues, it's just that I have become very prepared for discussion about this topic and am driven by my conscience to stoke people to discuss it.

Maybe, if the AAP, the textbook publishers, the educational institutions using the wrong textbooks and others were actually considering the feelings of the victims, the drive to use aggressive techniques wouldn't exist.  I'd love to see more "circumcision harms" billboards from Your Whole Baby.  I'd love it if similar funding for educational outreach was available, similar to the educational outreach that existed after the cigarette companies were sued.  Who's going to pay for that?  So far, it's only been a grassroots effort.

I do hate that children have to see it.  I hate that some are fearful because of it.  I don't want children to lose their childhood innocence any earlier than necessary.  So, please help.  If you are a supporter of genital autonomy, please register at genitalautonomysociety.org (I'm the founder).  If you are able to donate financially, that site took me over $800 to build and operate due to the fact that it involves a database (static websites are super-cheap in comparison) and would love help to cover those costs.  I have invested thousands into other efforts too.  Unfortunately, it's not a 501c3, yet, as that costs $1K just to setup.  If a tax deduction is needed, please support Your Whole Baby, Doctors Opposing Circumcision, Genital Autonomy America or Bloodstained Men.  I'd appreciate being tagged when you do so (they all know me).

1 comment:

  1. "I have demonstrated without the bloodstained pants; didn't get a fraction of the pictures taken as I do otherwise. The pictures are extremely valuable these days. You know where those pictures go: social media. Sure, many people will laugh; that's great. If they post them publicly, the intactivists catch it and take the opportunity to educate people."

    ReplyDelete